Thursday, December 23, 2010

I Want You to be in Charge, But...

As J and I began exploring DD, I read a lot of blogs and websites, and still do.  Two things jump out at me:

1.  It is overwhelmingly women who ask for DD; they want their men to be in authority over them
2.  These same women have very strong opinions on exactly *how* they want this to happen

I have to laugh at myself and my submissive sisters.  I desperately crave J to be a strong, dominant leader in our home.  I'm willing to try any expressions of his leadership and my submission that he wants to experiment with, with the understanding that we're both learning what works for us.  I read many blogs where women say, "I love the changes I see in my HoH; I wish I could make him understand that I'd love it if he were even more in control."  But we're missing a very important factor in DD: to be truly submissive and respectful of our man's authority, we have to accept and respect the way in which he implements it.  We don't get to choose how much/how little he controls us, or the ways in which he exercises that control.   We provide our feedback, but ultimately the decision is his, and if we truly believe in practicing DD, we accept his decision willingly.

Sooooo...we want our men to be strong, dominant leaders...but we want to tell them how to do it!

J is by nature a much more laid back person than I am.  He's the youngest child in a family of big personalities, so he learned to just go with the flow.  When we met, I had been a single parent for 5 years, and had been the only real 'adult' in my 14 year marriage prior to that - so I had a lot of experience running the show.  His normal easygoing ways became even more so in the face of my take-charge attitude.  Eventually we both became near classic examples of the shrewish, domineering wife and the timid husband, and we hated it.  We've been implementing DD for almost 2  months now and are both so much happier.  But my natural bossy nature can't help thinking 'He should read this article...follow this routine...do this...don't do that...'  Part of my struggle with submission is accepting J's interpretation of his role and focusing on my behavior and attitude, not his.

The other thing I have to remember is that I'm asking a lot of him.  Those of you who are parents know the emotional energy it takes to be responsible for another person, to guide and develop their thoughts and behavior and to determine when punishment is warranted.  Yes, I have sacrifices to make also: instead of staying in bed on my days off, I get up to fix his lunch and lay out his clothes.  I remember to ask his opinion on things that I would normally decide on my own.  And my behind is still bruised after a good long maintenance session last weekend.  But these things are pretty minor, all things that I should be doing anyway as a loving wife and partner.  As for my sore behind, well, I gain so much from my spankings that the soreness doesn't mean anything.

7 comments:

  1. "I want DD, BUT NOT LIKE THIS!"

    You're right. I think every woman who initiates DD goes through this stage. And it makes sense, too.

    Thank you for acknowledging the emotional energy it takes to be the HoH.

    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the wonderful world of TTWD (this thing we do). I was like this at one point and I still do this every now and then. Hope to see more from you as you explore. Please feel free to check out my blog ... We have been making lots of changes in our relationship recently. I know I learn about myself from reading others experiences maybe it can help you too.
    *Hugs*
    Lil' Heaven

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sheila,

    My Master, Asha (who is also very laid back) and I, started out in this dynamic together... so it was a lifestyle relationship right from the very start... even still there have been times when I felt this very same way. Something I've learned over the years, though, is that even though we are supposed to accept things as they want them... we also have to have our needs fulfilled or else it creates an imbalance.

    So it's okay to tell him what you need (or what you think you need) and it's okay to make suggestions. Just hold back on the expectations. Once you tell him what it is you want or need, it's up to him how, when and if it will be implemented.

    The best way to make this type of relationship work is a lot of honesty on both parts and communication. I've found that having a journal (just a little notebook or a private blog that only the two of you have access to) really helps in sharing what you are feeling, and what your wants and needs are. This way if he's working or busy and you have something on your mind, you can write it down and get it out of your system and be able to discuss it with him later with a clearer head.

    Congrats to you both for taking this step in your relationship!

    *hugs*

    turiya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this post. I'm guilty as charged!!! UGH In the beginning I was super bad about it and i slowed down. I just tell him my thoughts then i think he needs to do it NOW!!! Lead the way i think he should hmmmm Thank you soo much. I was struggling tonight. Glad i ran across your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sheila, nice blog and so nice to see a new face. I remember when I went through this very thing. I think its very normal. Best of luck to you. Galway

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw you post on another blog that you'd considered and shared this document Beginner's Guide to Leadership and Sumbission

    How did that go? Did that help with this attitude? Have you tried it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well??? What's happened since December? Are you still on board the good ship TTWD?

    ReplyDelete